Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Math Autobiography

To begin a new course about teaching students math education, I must first reflect on my past and current schooling experiences involving mathematics and input my thoughts and ideas about what I had encountered.

Mathematics in my primary/elementary classrooms was pretty average (no pun intended). We had our textbooks, multiplication and division facts posted on the walls, and we usually sat in groups to do our seat work. The teachers would show us something new, then we would do our assigned work. We got to use manipulatives, like the geometric or base ten blocks, which always made class more fun.  

I don't have any "best" memories surrounding mathematics in primary/elementary. Overall, class was usually good. However, I can tell you about my worst memory. In grade four we were introduced to rounding and I could not wrap my head around that concept. So, when the teacher called on individual students to recite their answer to the questions, my answers were always wrong. I got additional help to learn how to round, but sadly it was not from my teacher. I also remember being given multiplication sheets to complete as a race with our classmates. You would think that since I can only recall bad memories that nowadays I might not like math. However, I am the complete opposite. As I got older, I became more motivated and had better teachers as the years progressed. I have learned from some of my teachers on how I should and should not teach my future students. Math shouldn't be a competition because that discourages students and causes them to become unmotivated. As well, teachers, no matter what subject they are teaching should always offer additional help if necessary. Even if it is a simple topic, such as rounding.

During my primary/elementary years, I was good at math. I just did not have the motivation to do my school work. I usually understood the concepts fairly well and done my work in class. However, I would never do homework, which I now realize is important to further our understandings.

I am sure my teachers felt that mathematics was an important subject (and it sure is). They were always prepared for class, offered varied instructions, then would walk around the class to monitor our progress.

The assessment my teachers used to ensure we achieved the outcomes was usually in the form of unit tests and assignments. They probably used anecdotal records or checklists, but I cannot remember. I believe that all forms of assessment should be use to ensure the students have achieved the mathematics outcomes and can provide the students' parents/guardians with a multitude of evidence on their child's success or struggles.

Once I got into high school, math became much more interesting to me. I was enrolled in academic math and in grade twelve I was in both academic and advanced math classes. I think high school math was a better experience for me because my math teachers wanted to be math teachers. It is what they spent their entire life focusing on, therefore they knew the best way to teach a concept. My teachers would even offer additional tutoring, especially around finals/publics. Also, SMART boards and the use of technology was integrated more into the classroom by those years, which made math more interesting and fun. To add, I was also a Mathlete. I worked with a few other students in my class and the grade below us in math competitions in different districts across Newfoundland. This is surprising, right? I went from a student who was not motivated to do her homework, to a person who had an extracurricular activity in mathematics! 

In my past four years in university, I have only taken two math courses thus far. Math 1090 and Stats 2500.

This time last year I was enrolled in Education 2900, which is an distance statistics course that I took for my Education elective.

Mathematics is everywhere in my daily life. One instance would be that I am the Treasurer of the 2013-2014 Primary/Elementary Education Society, therefore I collect, count, and record all funds for our upcoming events. Its a very important duty that requires mathematical and organization skills.

Nowadays, I really do enjoy mathematics. I no longer find it hard and enjoy learning new mathematical concepts.

I am excited to see what Education 3940 has to offer me and I am sure it will aid in my future teaching ability as a primary/elementary mathematics educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment